1954 The Men of Sherwood Forest

The Men of Sherwood Forest – 1954

A Hammer production released by Exclusive Films (UK) and Astor (USA) 
Copyright MCMLIV by Exclusive Films Ltd. 
RCA Sound Recording 
Produced at Bray Studios, England 

Eastman Colour by Denham Laboratories 77 mins


Opening titles:- “1194 A.D. – England is a troubled land. King Richard the Lion Heart is a prisoner in Germany, with but half his ransom is paid. At home, his brother, Prince John, is intriguing to obtain the Crown himself. In the County of Nottingham Robin Hood and his outlaw band take toll from rich travellers – and it is a brave voyager indeed who ventures through Sherwood Forest.

Watch the film on Daily Motion


Art Director 
Editor James Needs
Production Manager
Assistant Director
Sound Recording
Costume Designer
Wardrobe Mistress
Camera Operator
Director of Photography
Music Composed by
Musical Director
Screenplay by
Produced by
Directed by

 J. Elder Wills
James Needs
Jimmy Sangster
Jack Causey
Sid Wiles and Ken Cameron
Renee Glynne
Philip Leakey
Monica Hustler
Michael Whitaker
Molly Arbuthnot
Len Harris
Walter Harvey, BSc
Doreen Carwithen
John Hollingsworth
Allan MacKinnon
Michael Carreras
Val Guest


Robin Hood
Friar Tuck
Lady Alys
Sir Guy Belton
Sir Nigel Saltire
Little John
Will Scarlet
King Richard the Lion Heart

Don Taylor
Reginald Beckwith
Eileen Moore
David King Wood
Douglas Wilmer 
Harold Lang
Leslie Linder
John Van Eyssen
Patrick Holt
Ballard Berkeley
Vera Pearce
Bernard Bresslaw
Wensley Pithey
Toke Townley
Michael Golden
Leonard Sachs


Hammer’s first colour production visits territory they would return to on two more occasions – in “Sword of Sherwood Forest” (1960) and “A Challenge for Robin Hood” (1967). ”Carry On” regular Bernard Bresslaw appears here in a small role. He later starred in Hammer’s 1959 Jekyll and Hyde comedy, “The Ugly Duckling” and in “Moon Zero Two” (1968). John Hollingsworth remained as chief Musical Director at Hammer for the next nine years.

Details were complied viewing the actual film. 
Source of viewing copy – The Hammer Graveyard Collection