1964 The Gorgon

The Gorgon - 1964

A Hammer film Production released by Columbia Pictures 

Copyright MCMLXIV Hammer Film Productions Ltd, - All rights reserved

MPAA Approved Certificate 

The characters and incidents portrayed and the names used herein are fictitious and any similarity to the name, character, or history of any person is entirely accidental and unintentional 

RCA Sound Recording 

Produced at Bray Studios England, 

Eastmancolour by Pathe 83 mins


Opening title:- "Overshadowing the village of Vandorf stands the Castle Borski. From the turn of the century a monster from an ancient age of history came to live here. No living thing survived and the spectre of death hovered in waiting for her next victim."
When his son Bruno is killed in mysterious circumstances, Professor Heitz travels to Vandorf hoping to find out the truth; but instead he is greeted by a conspiracy of silence involving Dr Namaroff, the top medical man there, and the police. The superstitious, frightened villagers try to make him leave but he refuses, determined to get to the bottom of the mystery. Then one night he is lured by a siren-like voice to the Castle Borski, where he stares straight into the eyes of the Gorgon. Instantly, he begins to turn to stone.....Watch the trailer on YouTube


Production Designer Bernard Robinson
Supervising Editor James Needs
Production Manager Don Weeks
Assistant Director Bert Batt
Editor Eric Boyd-Perkins
Art Director Don Mingaye
Sound Recordist Ken Rawkins
Sound Editor Roy Hyde
Continuity Pauline Harlow
Make-up Artist Roy Ashton
Hair Stylist Frieda Steiger
Wardrobe Mistress Rosemary Burrows
Special Effects Syd Pearson
Fight Arranger Peter Diamond
Camera Operator C. Cooney
Director of Photography Michael Reed
Music Composed by James Bernard
Musical Supervisor Marcus Dods
Screenplay by John Gilling
Based on an original story by J. Llewellyn Devine
Produced by Anthony Nelson Keys
Directed by Terence Fisher


Namaroff Peter Cushing
Professor Meister Christopher Lee
Paul Heitz Richard Pascoe
Carla Hoffmann Barbara Shelley
Professor Heitz Michael Goodlife
Kanof Patrick Troughton
Ratoff Jack Watson
Mad Martha Joyce Hemson
Megeira Prudence Hyman
Janus Cass Alister Williamson
and with Joseph O'Connor, Redmond Philips, Jeremy Longhurst, Tony Gilpin and Michael Peake


Barbara Shelley had already appeared in horror films, such as "Cat Girl" (1957) and "Blood of the Vampire" (1958, written by Jimmy Sangster). For Hammer, she also made "The Secret of Blood Island" (1965), "Dracula - Prince of Darkness" (1966), "Rasputin - the Mad Monk" (1966) and "Quatermass and the Pit" (1967):
 This was the second time in his career that actor Michael Goodliffe played a statue. In "Up the Creek" (1958), he played the statue of Nelson on top of his famous column in Trafalgar Square!

Details were complied viewing the actual film. 
Source of viewing copy - The Hammer Graveyard Collection